Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Wolfman


Just saw The Wolfman, I remember seeing the trailer during another movie last year and thinking that it looked really good. But, I guess that just proves the effect that trailers are meant to have.

I was actually a little late getting into the theater, so I missed the first 5 minutes. But, I think I only missed the death of Benicio Del Toro's brother in the film. Anyways, Benicio Del Toro, played the lead role of Lawrence Talbot, and I think he was cast very well for the role. It was a dark, eerily filmed movie and Del Toro managed to be persuasive enough in his early interactions in the film. Early in the movie there's a scene in a dimly lit tavern where Talbot sits alone at a table, he listens as the townspeople discuss who they believe is responsible for the slayings, because his brother's death is just one of many, some think a bear is responsible, others think a more powerful beast. The scene is semi-crucial to the progression of the plot, but I only mention it because the elements of the scene are pretty fantastic and are a major reason I enjoyed the movie. The lighting for the scene is very dim, the sound is a little scratchy, the winds and other noises from outside can be heard. It paints a very vivid picture for what tumultous nights like this were like in 1891 Blackmoor, England.

The musical score of the film didn't really blow me away but I didn't really expect it to. It definitely could've been better in my opinion, but I thought the sound in the movie was right on pitch. The mixing of different weather sounds was great, as I said before it vividly painted the picture.

I really liked Emily Blunt in this movie, the role was essentially made for her with her being a highly marketable, very attractive British actress. But, I only wish she could've had a bit more screen time. I think she really has become an incredible actress and roles like this one will give her a wider exposure to worldwide audiences.

I'm not sure I've ever seen the original Wolfman movie, so I cannot draw any comparisons with this one, but this new release is an entertaining, gory update that will definitely hold your attention for a few hours. My only suggestion is that you wait till it's released on DVD to see it. Sometimes the cost of admission for two, snacks, and whatever else you need to see a movie can raise expectations and this movie might not live up to those. Don't get me wrong I did like it though, I just didn't love the Wolfman's makeup, it looked too much like Beast from X-Men for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment