Saturday, April 10, 2010

New York, I Love You



I'm not sure what connections New York, I Love You, has to the film about Paris with a similar name. But, one could certainly see the obvious connections.The movie has a similar structure but some major differences most notably the transitions between different short films. The absence of this made it a little difficult to know when a story ended and another began. Also, the reappearances of some characters made this confusing as well. Although, I preferred the structure of the Paris film, I did still enjoy the New York one very much. It portrayed the city in an interesting light that seemed authentic.

The actors in New York, I Love You, were also better known American actors so this might have benefited the viewer in being able to relate and connect with their roles. Ethan Hawkes acting really stuck out to me in the film, notably him trying to pick up Maggie Q's character while smoking a cigarette.

That was another element that stood out to me the prevalent smoking in the movie. Is NYC really that thick with cig smokers? I've never really noticed it to be more than other places, especially with the reputation that France and the city of Paris has as a land of cafe going tobacco smokers it was odd to see this disparity.

The film though includes some great cinematography, excellent acting, good casting, and a decent score. Definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment