Sunday, April 4, 2010

When in Rome



I'm reluctant to write this, but what the hell my blog could use some more content anyway. I saw, When in Rome, earlier this week and I was not impressed to say the least. From the wedding scene at the beginning of the movie the audience knows what is coming, Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel's characters are going to fall in love and get married, probably in Rome as well. So, it's just a matter of having some funny, romantic situations before the inevitable happens.

When in Rome, is definitely conscious of it's comedic roots, which is obvious based on the supporting cast selections like Will Arnett, Jon Heder, Dax Shepard, and Danny DeVito. They all for the most part turn in good supporting roles, but it's Bell who I don't think is funny enough to shoulder the responsibility of carrying the movies comedic aspirations. Duhamel on the other hand is definitely able to keep the audience laughing.

If there's a major reason that I disliked this movie so much, it's because of its predictability and just how outrageous some of the situations in it are. The little yellow car scene in the Guggenheim is outrageous, and my guess is the movies creators wanted it to be so people would find humor in it, but it didn't feel funny, it felt kind of awkward. There are just a few too many scenes like that in this movie for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment